Progress on frames and FCCLB prepares for a BOOM (lift)

This week I am beginning work on the wooden frames that operate as functional stops that hold the stained glass panes in place (see second post for pictures of stops in place). The stops were removed along with the stained glass windowpanes back in August. They have been stabilized with epoxy and are now ready for fine detail work. Before that can happen, all of the stops must be photographed and notes on their condition must be taken so that future generations will know what was done to them. Here are a few shots of my documentation process.


My lovely photography set up.


Example of documentation image.


Bundled teardrop frames



Half of the bundled ‘circular’ window frames.

Also, the church will be renting a boom lift to complete an investigation of the terracotta to locate buried metal. The metal anchors that hold the blocks together have corroded and are potentially the cause of many of the cracks. By mapping the metal and surrounding cracks we can determine the validity of a causal relationship and begin to find ways to address the problems. I have included two images from the National Terracotta Society’s 1914 manual that illustrate the types of metal we are hoping to find.



For several months scaffolding was erected in sanctuary to allow for access for investigations of the rose window. It was determined to be no longer necessary and Mike Oades and his team were able to take down the scaffolding. . The timing was fortuitous because every seat in the sanctuary was needed for last Thursday’s Momastery event.


Momastery aka Glennon Doyle Melton packed the sanctuary full of women who came together for an evening to share their stories and their struggles. After an hour meet and greet Glennon spoke about her story, the origins of her new book, and her relationship with the United Church of Christ. She explained the draw to her UCC community as ‘finally finding a place where love and the church reached out to everyone.’


Glennon Doyle Melton is one of many illustrious authors and speakers that First Church has hosted over the years. Past lecturers include Dr. Edward Krehbiel, a Stanford history professor and member of Wilson’s post-war peace settlement working group, in 1918, the scientist who discovered the charge of an electron and Nobel Prize winner Dr. R. A. Millikan in 1923, Russian royalty and UCLA professor Prince Andre Lobanoff Rostovsky in 1933, and many many more.


We look forward to more lectures that bring current subjects to the forefront and make the First Congregational Church a meeting place for not only religious but also intellectually and emotionally challenging discussions.

A new case and Joseph Evan Mackay

This week the preservation team put together a new encasement for the Koinonia room. This one features a teardrop window that was removed from the east rose window. In it you can find examples of almost every kind of damage inflicted on the panes: cracking, broken pieces, soft/bent leading, chips, losses, a poorly constructed patch, and several BB gun holes to top it off.



Now on view in the Koinonia Room

In honor of the windows currently under restoration, here is a bit more information about the creator of our stained glass windows, Joseph Evan Mackay. Many thanks to Bob Kalayjian who spent countless hours putting together such a wonderful trove of information!



Sketches for east rose window angels, Joseph Evan Mackay, 1913.

Joseph Evan Mackay was a Scottish emigrant born in the 1864 who moved to New York City in 1884. He worked with John LaFarge for three years until he began working at Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company. His time at Tiffany was tumultuous. He later sued the company in 1897 for a $17,000 commission he had earned.[1] It is unknown whether or not he was successful in his suit.


Magnolia and Irises, 1908, Tiffany Glass, Co. Now at the Metropolitan Museum in New York.

By the early 1900’s he had moved to San Francisco where he began to distinguish himself by diverging from traditional European iconography and including Western naturalistic imagery. He left the bay area after a few years and moved down to Los Angeles. In 1905 the Los Angeles Times reported a strike at his warehouse over his hiring of a Japanese glassmaker he knew from his time at Tiffany in New York.[2]



Bay as seen from Tiburon (1904) by Joseph Evan Mackay. Now in the Minnesota Marine Art Museum in  Winona, Minnesota.



His liberal politics must have endeared him to the relatively young First Congregational Church of Long Beach. He was hired in 1913 to design all of the stained glass and interior spaces. He continued creating art glass in California until his death in 1938. He is buried in Beverly Hills.

[1] Paint, oil and drug review Vol. 24 No. 1. July 7, 1897 Chicago: D. Van Ness Pub. Co.

[2] Wouldn’t work with any Jap.” The Los Angeles Times. August, 13, 1905. [Los Angeles, Calif.]: Times-Mirror Co.



The skylights are back!

Finally the skylights in the Kononia room are back in place and boy do they look fantastic! Not only was the glass cleaned and sagging in the frame fixed by J. Michael Designs but thanks to Sam Johnson, Yvonne Samarion, and a new volunteer David Eckhous the interiors were repainted and solar powered lights were installed to illuminate the glass at night. Hopefully their efforts combined with the recaulking the Historic Preservation Committee did Spring of 2015 will mean that the skylights will be in stellar condition for the next hundred years.

Here are some during and after photos:


Repainted interior of the skylights. Thanks again Sam!


One of the new solar powered flood lights.

After shots:


No more sagging!


All three newly cleaned skylights


Look at the intensity of the color!


What is going on in the Koinonia Room?

One of the more pressing questions the Historic Preservation Committee has been receiving as of late is about the scaffolding in the Koinonia Room. Aren’t we just dealing with the rose window? The answer is we are dealing with both simultaneously.


The skylights in the Kononia Room have bowed significantly in their frames. Their state of deterioration is such that repair work cannot wait without further risk of endangering the people below if a seismic event were to occur. Their removal also coincided well with the removal of the rose window so both stained glass pieces are being addressed at the same time.

Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 11.33.19 AM

Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 11.31.23 AM

While the glass is removed church staff will also be repainting the interior of the skylights and addressing the rusting on the frames. The process should take a few weeks. Preventive maintenance like this will ensure that the newly cleaned and repaired glass will stay secure in their frames for a long time to come.


Interior of skylight. Note rust on frame and previous water damage.


Removed skylights being cleaned


How is a rose window removed?

Our rose window is comprised of four layers: a terracotta exterior, a mortar and metal interior, the stained glass panes, and the interior wood frame.

Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 1.45.18 PM

All of the windows must be vacuumed before they can be taken out. Dust and debris can obscure underlying damage and hinder the removal process so this seemingly simple step is actually critical to success.



Once the glass is cleaned, a portion of the wood frame called a functional stop must be removed. The functional stop is not the entire frame but rather a thin strip of wood that is nailed to the structural frame to hold the glass in place.

Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 2.08.19 PM


After the functional stop is removed, a curved tool is used to release the glass from the old putty. In most cases there is leading around the outside of the glass but in some cases, the glass sits right up against the frame.


The glass is then taped together with masking tape. This ensures that broken pieces stay together during transport.


As soon as the window is removed, the remnants of the old putty are vacuumed up and the pane is replaced with a cream colored glass. The cream glass is held by a silicone caulk, which is further stabilized by foam functional stops that are nailed into the structural frame.


The glass panes and functional stops will be restored offsite at J. Michael Designs studio. Once the exterior terracotta is repaired the glass will be returned to the sanctuary in approximately six months.

The Setup

After two years of committee meetings, a congregational vote, and plenty of consultations with experts and city officials the First Congregational Church of Long Beach is beginning its exterior facade restoration project!


The east (Cedar St.) facade where work will begin

This is the most extensive work done since the old building was retrofitted in 1988. It will involve removing all of the stained glass panes in the rose window, filling all of the cracks in the terracotta, replacing all of the damaged bricks, and re-pointing the mortar


Detail photo taken from a boom lift

The stained glass removal kicks off the project. It is very important that the fragile glass is out before work on the surrounding terracotta and brickwork begins. The glass panes will be carefully cleaned then removed from the inside using specialized tools and labor.


Interior of east rose window

It sounds easier than it actually is. In order to even begin working on the glass panels Mike and his trusty team has to relocate existing pews made of solid mahogany (very heavy!). After removing the pews, a flat platform must be built on the sloping grade of the balcony for the scaffolding to be erected from. Once the scaffolding is erected the windows will be removed, one pane at a time!

Scaffolding Setup 7.21.16_07

Relocated pews

Scaffolding Setup 7.21.16_10

Beginnings of a stable platform

Scaffolding Setup 7.22

Fully erected scaffolding